Roku is also a widely used streaming device that provides access to various streaming services, including HBO Max. However, like any other technology, issues may arise with the service from time to time. If you are one of those users who are struggling with HBO Max not working on Roku, don’t worry, you’re not alone.
However, sometimes, users face issues when trying to use HBO Max on their Roku device. In this article, we will discuss some of the most common issues that cause HBO Max to not work on Roku and provide some effective solutions to fix them. In this article will guide you through the steps to fix the problem.
So, sit back, relax, and follow these eleven troubleshooting steps to enjoy uninterrupted streaming of your favorite content on HBO Max.
- HBO Max Not Working On Roku – Eleven Easy Fixes
- #1. Check Roku / HBO Max compatibility
- #2. Check your Internet connection
- #3. Check HBO Max servers
- #4. Remove the channel
- #5. Check your AVR (audio visual receiver)
- #6. Soft reset your Roku Device
- #7. Clear the cache on HBO Max
- #8. Reinstall HBO Max
- #9. Turn off Your VPN
- #10. Manually update your Roku device
- #11. Hard reset your Roku device
HBO Max Not Working On Roku – Eleven Easy Fixes
Here are eleven simple solutions for HBO Max not working on Roku. Go through the list and try these fixes one by one. In most cases, one of these solutions will fix the problem.
#1. Check Roku / HBO Max compatibility
HBO Max only works on Roku devices that operate on Roku OS 9.3 or higher. So if HBO Max is not working on your Roku, the first thing to do is check the operating system of your Roku device.
Go to the home screen of your Roku and then Settings > System > About
Older Roku devices will not support OS 9.3. So if you see a Roku OS lower than 9.3, consider upgrading your Roku device.
Note: your Roku device will check for software updates every 24 hours, so if the OS is lower than 9.3 it most likely means your Roku device does not support the latest Roku operating system.
#2. Check your Internet connection
A possible cause for HBO Max not working on your Roku device could be your Internet speed. You need an Internet speed of at least 25 Mbps to stream HBO Max content:
So check your Internet speed.
To do this, go to fast.com and see how many Mbps (megabytes per second) you have:
The 24-hour chart will tell you if there are any problems with HBO Max:
#4. Remove the channel
Remove the HBO Max channel, then restart your Roku player by unplugging it from the wall for 60 seconds. And then re-add the HBO Max channel.
The procedure for removing a channel from a smart TV will vary from one brand of TV to another. This is how to remove a channel on a Samsung Smart TV:
- Navigate to the main menu.
- Move to Connected Devices and go down then choose TV to access TV channels.
- Select Edit Channels to navigate to the channel edit screen
- After selecting the channel, press Delete to remove the channel
To restore a channel, navigate to the Edit Channels screen, select the deleted channel, then press the Restore button.
#5. Check your AVR (audio visual receiver)
If you have an AVR, check to see if the problem is coming from the AVR.
Plug your Roku device directly into the TV HDMI port (bypassing the AVR) and see if that solves the problem.
#6. Soft reset your Roku Device
If the above solutions didn’t fix the problem, then you can try ‘soft’ resetting your Roku device.
A soft reset is a restart of a device: it closes applications and clears any data in the RAM (random access memory). A soft reset will sometimes solve the problem of HBO Max not working on Roku.
To do a soft reset on a Roku device, simply unplug the Roku device from the wall and wait at least 15 seconds before plugging it back in.
Alternatively, you can do a soft reset using the Roku remote:
- Press the Home button on your Roku remote
- Go to Settings > System > Power and then select System Restart
#7. Clear the cache on HBO Max
Cache is a component that stores data so that future requests for that data can be served faster.
Just as your browser has a cache, so also does the HBO Max app. Too much data in the cache of your HBO Max app can lead to glitches. And that’s why clearing the cache can sometimes solve problems.
The quickest way to clear the cache on HBO max is to simply remove the app:
- Select the HBO Max channel from your home screen
- Press the Asterisk button on your remote
- Select Remove channel
- Restart your Roku device to perform a full system reboot
- Reinstall HBO Max from the channel store and log back in
#8. Reinstall HBO Max
Sometimes the HBO Max app becomes corrupted. In this case, the solution is to delete it and reinstall it.
(Note: If you have already completed the previous step, this step won’t be necessary).
To reinstall HBO Max, follow these steps:
- Press the home button on your Roku remote on your Roku remote
- Move to the right and highlight the channel you wish to remove
- Press the star button on your Roku remote on your remote to open the Options menu
- Select Remove channel and confirm when prompted
- Then go to the search box, and type HBO Max
- Add the channel back to your Roku device
#9. Turn off Your VPN
A VPN or Virtual Private Network creates an encrypted “tunnel” over the internet and secures data traveling between you and your destination. A VPN changes your IP and masks your virtual location. One reason people use a VPN is that it allows them to stream content that isn’t normally available in their geographic location.
However, a VPN can also interfere with the performance of streaming services. So, if you are using a VPN, try turning it off and see if that solves the problem of HBM Max not working on Roku.
#10. Manually update your Roku device
Most devices linked to the Internet have periodic software updates. These updates contain the latest performance improvements and they iron out glitches and bugs contained in previous software versions.
If your Roku device does not have the latest Roku operating system (OS), that could be why HBO Max is not working on your Roku device.
Your Roku device should update its OS automatically. But in case it hasn’t done this, here are the instructions for manually updating your Roku’s software:
- Press the Home button on your remote
- Go to System > System Update
- If there is an update, download and install it
#11. Hard reset your Roku device
If none of these fixes have solved the problem, it’s time to do a hard reset of your Roku device. A hard reset, also known as a factory reset, is the process of reverting a device back to the state it was in when shipped from the factory.
Before doing a hard reset, be aware that this will remove all of your custom settings and return them to their default settings, and it will disconnect your device from your Roku account.
Here is how to do a factory reset on a Roku device:
- Press Home home button on your remote
- Scroll down and choose Settings
- Select System and then Advanced System Settings
- Select Factory Reset
HBO Max not working on Roku can be frustrating. But don’t worry. The problem can usually be solved using one of these eleven easy fixes.
Go through this list of solutions one by one and you should soon have HBO Max working again on your Roku device.