Looking for garage door openers that work with Google Home or Google Assistant?
Here are the 6 best garage door openers that work with Google Home.
These smart garage door openers are ‘retro’ kits that you add to your existing garage door to make it a smart garage door opener.
For each garage door opener I’ve included a list of the features plus a section that explains how to connect the garage door opener to Google Home
- Best Garage Door Openers That Work With Google Home
- Related Articles
Best Garage Door Openers That Work With Google Home
In today’s era of smart homes and interconnected devices, garage door openers with voice-controlled virtual assistants have become highly sought after. Imagine effortlessly opening and closing your garage door with a simple voice command, or checking its status from anywhere using your smartphone. Thanks to the seamless integration between Google Home and compatible garage door openers, this futuristic dream has become a reality.
In this article, we delve into the world of garage door openers that seamlessly integrate with Google Home, allowing you to control and monitor your garage door using the power of your voice. Whether you’re looking to upgrade your existing garage door opener or considering a completely new installation, we’ve compiled a list of the best options that offer seamless compatibility with Google Home.
From cutting-edge features to enhanced security measures, the garage door openers featured in this article combine innovation, convenience, and reliability. We’ll explore their standout features, ease of installation, and how they integrate with Google Home to provide you with an unparalleled smart home experience.
By the end of this guide, you’ll be equipped with the knowledge and insights needed to make an informed decision when choosing a garage door opener that seamlessly integrates with your Google Home ecosystem. So, let’s explore the top choices and embark on a journey towards effortless and intelligent garage access control.
The main advantage of garage door openers that work with Google Home is that you will be able to control your garage door with voice commands. It’s also convenient to have your garage door in the same app as all your other smart devices.
Here are the best garage door openers that work with Google Home or Google Assistant.
#1. Tailwind iQ3
Image Credit: gotailwind.com
Another of the garage door openers that work with Google Home is the Tailwind iQ3. It works with Apple HomeKit, Google Home, Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Smart Things, and IFTTT.
- Closes the door automatically when you arrive and leave
- “Night Mode” gives you extra security – if the door opens at any time during the night, Tailwind’s “Night Mode” will close it again after a few minutes
- Receive customized alerts anywhere in the world using your smart device
- Share access with as many people as you like
- Flexible sharing rules – grant access during scheduled times on specific days of the week
- Revoke access instantly if necessary
- Timed auto-close if a door has been left open – configurable up to 60 minutes
- Additional adapters required for some brands of garage opener
- Vehicle sensor is required for iPhone users to have the auto open and close feature
- Works with Apple Watch and Android Wear OS watches
– How to connect to Google Home
In the Tailwind app
- Go to the main menu and ‘Integrations’
- Tap on the + sign to add an integration
- Select Google Home
- You’ll see a message telling you that to use your Tailwind credentials to add Tailwind to Google Home – that means that when you are in the Google Home app, you will need to Tailwind login details
- Tap Add Integration
- Google Home will ask you which device you want to send the command to – select ‘Garage’
- Set a 4-digit PIN
In the Google Home app
- Tap on ‘Add’, then tap on ‘Set up device’
- Click on ‘Works with Google’, then search through the menu of options until you find Tailwind
- Enter your Tailwind account details (email address + Tailwind password) – Google Home will now link to your Tailwind account
- You will now see three garage door tiles – select all three garage doors and then scroll through the ‘Create New’ options until you find ‘Garage’.
- Google Home will now add those three devices to your ‘Garage’ room
- Your Tailwind garage door opener is now set up in Google Home
#2. NEXX Garage Remote Door Opener – NXG-300
Image Credit: getnexx.com
The NXG300 Garage Remote Door Opener is another of the garage door openers that work with Google Home. It is compatible with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Apple Siri, and Samsung SmartThings.
- Installation is relatively simple and streamlined, thanks to the wireless sensor technology
- Share access to the garage with multiple approved visitors (friends, family members, the dog sitter, cleaning service, etc)
- Compatible with most garage door openers
- Receive notifications if someone has forgotten to close the door
- Lets you know who accesses your garage and when
- WiFi connection plus Bluetooth capability
- Activate by voice or tapping: tap on the Nexx Home app or use voice commands in Siri, Alexa, or Google Assistant.
- Calendar in the app lets you see when the door was opened, and by whom
- Feature called Just Drive uses geofencing to detect when you’re arriving home, and will automatically open the garage door
- No fees for the Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa voice compatibility
- Create multiple schedules to automatically arm and disarm at a certain date and time
- Snooze feature for situations where you leave the garage open on purpose.
- Advanced activity log lets you see who is coming or going
- Set up in 10 minutes or less with wireless sensor system
– How to connect to Google Home
- Open your Google Home app and go to ‘Settings’ and then ‘More Settings’
- Scroll all the way down until you see ‘Shortcuts’
- Setup a new shortcut and for ‘Open garage door’
- Assign that shortcut to ‘Tell Next Garage to open garage door’
- Then create a shortcut for ‘Close garage door’
- Assign that shortcut to ‘Tell Next Garage to close garage door’
#3. Garadget – FBA GRT1US
Image Credit: garadget.com
- Uses uses a laser that shines on a reflective tab to tell if your garage is open or closed
- Gives you alerts in real-time if your door is opened, or if the door stays open for too long
- Avoid both battery-dependent wireless sensors and complicated wired sensors
- Reports real-time open/closed status
- No activity log
– How to connect to Google Assistant
NB: Garadget has no native integration with Google Home, so you have to use IFTTT.
- Login to your IFTTT account and click on ‘My Applets’
- Click on ‘New Applet’
- Add ‘If This’ and link up to Google Assistant
- Choose ‘Say a simple phrase’
- Add the phrase: ” Open garage door” and then add a response such as “Opening”
- Click “Create Trigger”
- Under ‘action service’ start typing in Garadget, then click on the Garage tile
- Then click on ‘Connect’
- Enter your Garage username and password, then click on: “Open door”
- If you have multiple garage doors, select which one and click ‘Create action”
- Review the action and then click “Finish”
- You have made a new Applet in IFTTT
- Now create another applet for closing the door (using same procedure as above)
- You can now use voice commands with Google Assistant to open and close your garage door
#4. Remootio 2 WiFi and Bluetooth Smart Garage Door Opener
Image Credit: remootio.com
Remootio 2 Smart Garage Door Opener works with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Apple Siri, and Samsung SmartThings
- Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity
- Open the garage doors automatically as you approach the house – the auto-open feature uses geofencing (GPS-based) and iBeacon (Bluetooth-based) technologies
- Automations – set your garage door to close or open at certain times of the day – set up as many automations as you want
- Notifications – get notified when someone operates your gate or when the gate has been left open.
- Share keys with family and friends or even Airbnb guests via QR code or via text message
- Revoke/manage access rights easily
- Limit when users can operate the gates based on weekly recurring pattern (useful for gardener, for example)
- Use the Remootio apple watch app to control your garage door from your wrist
- Check whether your garage door is open or closed from the Remootio app at any time
- Uses 256-bit authenticated end-to-end encryption between your smartphone and the Remootio device for greater security
- No external bridge or hub required
– How to connect with Google Home
- Open the Remootio app, and swipe to the garage device
- Tap the settings icon in the bottom right corner
- Scroll down until you see Alexa and Google Home and tap on it
- Log in to your Remootio account. (In the same menu you’ve reached in step 3).
- Tap on ‘Link device’. Upon successful linking, a key called ‘Smart Home’ will appear in your shared keys list.
- Go to your Google Home app and go to the Add and manage menu then tap on Set up device.
- Then under Works with Google, look for Remootio
- Log in with your Remootio account that you’ve used in step 4
- Your Remootio garage door opener will be added to Goggle Home and will appear as a ‘lock’ icon.
#5. Genie ALKT1-R Aladdin Connect Garage Door Opener
Image Credit: geniecompany.com
The Genie ALKT1-R Aladdin Connect Garage Door Opener is compatible with the most popular smart home platforms including Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Samsung SmartThings, Alarm.com, Clare Controls, Brilliant Smart Home Systems, Control4, and Yonomi
- Monitor, open, and close your garage door with your smartphone or smart device from anywhere
- Aladdin Connect app is free to use, with no additional fees or monthly charges
- Control up to 3 Garage Doors
- Automate garage door closing times: schedule specific times to close your garage door as well as set the door to close after a certain length of time
- Check whether your garage door is open or closed
- Provides a history for each opener: when the door was used including dates & times
- Instantly know that someone is operating your garage door, whether the person is an authorized user or not
- Create Virtual keys, and set up time-based rules
– How to connect with Google Home
- In the Google Home app under “Add to Home,” select “Set up device.”
- A list of devices that are compatible with Google Assistant will appear
- Tap on “Genie® Smart Garage.”
- You’ll then be prompted to enter your Aladdin Connect® username and password
- After successfully logging in, your Google Assistant will be updated – It will say Genie® Smart Garage is linked at the bottom of the page
#6. Meross Smart Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener – MSG100
Image Credit: meross.com
The Meross Smart Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener works with Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit, or SmartThings.
- Overtime notification and overnight notification to remind you to close the garage door: sends you a warning if the door is left open for a user-configured length of time
- See garage door open/close status in smartphone app
- Wired door sensor (two-part magnetic sensor to tell if the dor is open or closed)
- Compatible with over 200 brands and 1600 different models of garage door opener
- Set the door to close automatically after it’s been open for a set time, or close at a certain time of day
- Activity log shows you garage door open/close activity
– How to connect with Google Home
- Add Meross smart garage door opener in the Meross app first
- Open Google Home app, press “Add” button and then choose “Set up device”
- Choose “Works with Google” option and then find “Meross” in the action list.
- Sign in with your Meross account and then you can add the Meross smart garage door opener in the Google Home app
So there you have it – the seven best garage door openers that work with Google Home.
They can all be linked to either Google Home or Google Assistant so that you can control your garage door with a voice command to Google Assistant or by tapping a button in your Google Home smartphone app.
If you are wondering what the advantages are of a smart garage door opener, see my article ‘Eleven Amazing Benefits of a Smart Garage Door Opener’.